Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day Trading

Day trading is a useful tool for any mom, and it has nothing to do with Wall Street.

What I am speaking of is when you and other moms you know swap certain responsibilities . For instance, picking the kids up from school. One of the moms of Paige's fellow classmate works past dismissal time on Tuesdays, so I pick Amberlyn up with Paige and she comes over to our house to play. In exchange, Amberlyn's mom picks Paige up one day a week and lets her play over at their house for a while.

This practice is beneficial to both of us. Amberlyn's mom knows that her child is going to be picked up on the day that she can't be there on time, and she saves the cost of finding a daycare or service to pick her up once a week. The benefit to me is that once a week I don't have to hassle the baby up from his nap, and wrangle both boys into the car for a short 5-10 minute trip. This also affords me time to run an errand or two if both boys are up without having to wrangle 3 kids into and out of the car.

Day trading is also beneficial when it comes to finding a babysitter for the kids when you have an event to attend that doesn't allow for kids. It saves you the added cost of finding some teen aged kid that you hope you can trust and paying them to come to your house and talk on the phone while you are gone. You know that you can rely on your network of moms, because they know they can count on you. You have the bonus of having someone that you know and trust, and you know they have the maturity to handle any situations that might arise.

Day trading does not have to be limited to children. Within my network of trusted moms are friends that know they can call me when they need something beyond the children. For instance, the friend of mine whose mother is disabled and cannot drive. If something arises that her mother needs to get to and she can't take off work for, my friend calls me to ask if I can help her. I am happy to do so because I know that my friend is there for me in a heartbeat when I need her help.

If yet undiscovered, day trading is a valuable tool for the mother's arsenal. It is definitely worth developing a network of mothers and trusted friends that you can count on.

No comments:

Post a Comment