Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Night Time Routines

It amazes me at how comforting a night time routine can be to a child.

In Paige's 6 years, her bed time routine has grown more and more elaborate. It takes a good 5-10 minutes to complete. After she has dressed for bed, brushed her teeth and taken that last drink of the night, the process begins. It starts with asking her the best thing about her day. Some nights she cannot think of one and others she has three or four "best" things. Next, I ask her about the worst thing of her day. If she has one, we discuss it. Lately, she has also taken to asking me about my best and worst things of the day. Then, I proceed to tell her: "I love you bunny, night-night, don't let the bed bugs bite (tickle). From there I get kisses, hugs, and "pets" and sometimes tickles. I then have to tell her that I will see her in the morning. Any deviation on this process leads to Paige calling me out on it, and I must start the process over again. On the few occasions that I have not been home during bed time, Paige has called me so that I can do the routine over the phone.

Braedon also has his bed time routines. With him it usually starts with Todd. They go through their thing, which sometimes includes Braedon kissing his Ronald McDonald plates. Strange, I know, but whatever gets them into bed. With me, Braedon limits himself to getting kisses and hugs and telling him good night and don't let the bed bugs bite. Paige use to have a quick and simple routine, but she has had more years to develop her whole routine.

Dylan, my one year old cutie is the easiest to contend with at night time. He has yet to develop the concept of a routine, and is happy with a simple hug and kiss before being laid down.

I am curious to see how and what the boys will want as routines as they get older. It is a nice way to end the day with your children. Even as elaborate as Paige's routine is, it gives me the opportunity to have one on one face time with her and learn about parts of her life. As the independence develops and the formal education begins, the less time you have with your kiddo; night time routines allow you to get to know about your child's life outside of the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment